Monday, September 27, 2010

"The Technology of the Brewery"

The subject I would like to pursue for my final topic is a strange and somewhat controversial one. I would like to research the ways technology has changed and developed the alcohol industry or, more specifically, beer. Before you get too far into your immediate thoughts of incredulity, let me explain. My fascination with the art (yes I said art) of brewing beer does not spawn from some juvenile fascination with being rebellious or have anything to do with any party habits that I do or do not have. My interest instead comes from a desire to own a pub when I am older, a love for Great Britain (who produce some of the most widely known beers in the world i.e. Guinness, Newcastle, etc.), and a "Modern Marvels" episode on the History Channel about the history and manufacture of alcohol. Things that I intend to research and address in this paper include methods of brewing and how they have changed, advertisement, and a brief history. To research these topics I would first visit several well known beer company's websites that use varying degrees of technology to create the drink. I would want to find one that is mass-produced in an ultra-modern facility, one that has upgraded to meet demand but still stays tied to tradition, and one that prides itself on using completely traditional methods. Due to the nature of the topic, I would probably be fairly limited trying to find research sources in the library so I would probably simply search online for information regarding beer's history.

No comments:

Post a Comment